Thursday, January 22, 2009

Do I Have To?

I am 31 years old. Well 31 and a half if you want to get technical. In most areas of my life I consider myself a grown up. I have the numbers in years behind that statement. I am a wife, a mother, a home owner...well in 28 more years I'll be a home owner!! However, I am embarking on a risk. I am considering on taking a chance with my card making and I have discovered I am not as grown up as I thought. There is the fun side of this idea, the actual designing and making of the cards, but then there is the technical side...the not fun side. This is the side that makes me often not follow through on things because I cannot be bothered with the "stuff" that doesn't interest me. I realize at this moment how childish that is. I don't take photography classes because I don't want to learn how the camera actually works in it's technical sense, I just want to be able to point, click and take beautiful pictures. I didn't want to pursue interior design because you have to measure so much and plot it out and, well, that just sucks any joy out of doing a room. However, it's clear that without the technical side nothing would be correct. So as I look at my new adventure, I will choose to grow up and not only learn the technical side of it, but I will choose to excel in it. If I can require excellence of myself in other areas, I can choose to expect excellence of myself in areas that "don't interest me because they are not fun!" I have a feeling that if I can put aside this childish mindset and have myself focus and even enjoy learning something I think is boring, I have a feeling I will go places I have never dreamed possible. So I will make the commitment to myself that in 2009 my goal will be to stretch myself beyond what I enjoy, to learn the "technical side" of any given subject, so in the end my accomplishments will lack nothing. The time has come for me to grow past where I have been comfortable and push for excellence. I can't wait to see what happens. I will, of course, keep you posted!

1 comment:

nonapearl said...

Bravo!

And as for knowing how your camera works - it really is FUN! ;)

Can't wait to see how this comes through into your artwork.

Love ya,
Nona