Monday, May 12, 2008

The Movie

Yesterday I watched the movie, "Gone Baby Gone." It's about a little girl that ends up missing, through twists and turns they eventually believe the little girl to be dead. I know, super uplifting movie so far. The mom of the little girl is a piece of work, drinking, drugs and leaves this 4 year old alone assuming others in her apartment building will look after her. Well toward the end of the movie this private investigator ends up putting several pieces together and finds the girl, alive and happy. The people that took her had planned it all along and viewed it as right for the sake of the child. The moral dilemma at the end was should this P.I. leave the girl and pretend he never found her or lose several things that important to him personally and turn in the couple to return the girl back to her Mother and back to a life where she doesn't really have a chance? Well I won't ruin the movie for you in case you want to see it. It did, however, get me thinking about my own life and my own precious children. I thought about how different choices lead us in a completely different direction or put us in situations that can be good or bad. What I mostly realize is although that movie disturbed me deep in my heart because I know there are thousands, probably millions of children in that same boat, I cannot change the world. When I thought about how small I am, and how big the mess is in our Country alone...I feel helpless. And yet I take hope in the fact that what I can do is raise the next generation to be different. Most days I feel like we are swimming upstream against the current of over scheduling, selfishness and greed, to raise kids who respect and honor us, are giving and kind. I realize that without an amazing amount of prayer and guidance, this next generation doesn't stand a chance. I am so thankful that my hope is not in my ability or in the world, but my hope lies in Jesus who makes all things good. He has blessed me with three amazing children with gifts and talents that blow me away. I am blessed with children who challenge me to be a better person so they can be better people. Easy days or hard, being a mom and a full time one at that has enhanced my life in ways I never thought possible. So here is a thank you to each of my children for giving me the best job on the planet. Oh and the card that says...You Rock...I'll cherish forever!!

No comments: