Thursday, July 9, 2009

Blueberries

Rebecca has not eaten a blueberry since the day she fell out the window four years ago. Today we went blueberry picking which I have not done since she fell out the window four years ago! We had tons of fun today searching for the best and biggest berries. Ryan did well but mostly walked around and stole my berries so he could show everyone how many he had. When we got home I washed them up. Some for the freezer, some for a pie and a bunch just to eat. When Bec came into the kitchen I asked her to do a very big girl thing and she did it. I asked her to put aside the story of how she doesn't like blueberries and pick a nice big blueberry and eat it. I asked her to think only about how it tastes and to see if she does in fact maybe like them as she used to love them. As she put it in her mouth and took a bite, her eyes lit up!! " I really like these" she squealed and then asked for a small bowl of blueberries so she could go show Ron and Reagan how much she now enjoyed them.

What I learned from her today, is that sometimes we have to revisit things or experiences that we think we don't like, just in case we are missing out on something great because of a predetermined mindset. I wonder how much of life's experiences we let pass us by because we don't have the courage to try it and see if we like it. I am proud of my blueberry eating girl and I laughed when she told me she was going to limit how many she ate because she didn't want to throw them up. I guess the details are still a bit blurry for her. I hope to make her some blueberry pancakes so she can enjoy that delicious breakfast for the first time. Today I am so glad that we could make a new memory with blueberries. Such a small little fruit, such a big day.

No comments: