Saturday, June 27, 2009

Ten Years

I can hardly believe Ron and I have been married for ten years. Last night we actually got to go out and celebrate. A friend of mine offered to watch the kids. I believe that by the time we got home it was an offer she regretted. Ryan and Rebecca have a bit of a cold. Ryan's is starting to break up so there is a lot of "stuff" when he coughs. Well apparently he got busy coughing after he went to bed and threw up spaghetti all over his blankets. On a super fun note, she let them catch fire flies. To which Rebecca wanted to show me so she slept with hers. LOL that cracked me up. As I tried to pry the container from her clutch of death she woke up. Then she told me i could let them go. Lucky me. I hate bugs, let alone bugs that have been trapped for a couple of hours. I was brave, though, and I took the lid off outside. Only one guy had a light left and there was a huge one in there. I was later informed that the big one was the queen. Rebecca also decided to fake and ear ache. I am not sure if I should send this friend and Thank You card or an I'm Sorry card.

Anyway, back to happier things. I decided that we needed to do something different for our 10Th anniversary. I asked Ron if I could plan the evening and also asked him to keep an open mind. We went to a pottery painting place. We chose and oval platter and on it we are creating pictures of some of our most significant memories over the last 10 years. It's pretty cool and was super fun to see what things we could recall. It was also fun to create something together. We didn't finish it so we know we will have a few more date nights there to get it done. I will show a picture when it is complete. I have to say it looks a bit like elementary students worked on it, but we never claimed to be artists. It will be a piece that I treasure though because it is all about our lives.

The Bible is true once again when it says our lives are like a vapor. I just can't believe how quickly 10 years has gone by. As I take a step back and look at how big my children are, it seems like just yesterday I held my little 5lb, premature baby. Now I see a girl who is knocking on the door of becoming a young woman and I am shocked. The good news is that as we took the time to look back, we realize that we have really lived out these last ten years. They weren't wasted, we have no regrets of what we could have done or should have done. That alone makes me grateful. We have lived a lot of life together in these last ten years. We moved 4 times, said goodbye to Grandparents and Others, made friendships that will last our lifetime, and have grown as a couple. It would be a lie to say that I feel the same about Ron as I did when I married him. What we had ten years ago was new, fresh and exciting, but what we have now is deep, tested, and thankfully still exciting. I am thankful for my husband and the way we work through things together. Thankful that there are no yelling and screaming fights between us. Thankful that because Jesus is the center of our relationship, we have a solid foundation that hasn't been shaken. Thankful that after all of this time I can say that he is the love of my life, deep and true. We've walked through a lot of life in our few 10 years, but it has been great life and I am so thankful for it. Who knew that the crazy couple that met through email and married "too quickly" would be such a success story?!

No comments: