Sunday, January 3, 2010

Happy January 2!!


Because our New Year's Eve/New Year's Day was super lame the girls planned a party for January 2. I had to work 2AM on New Years Day and Ron Closed New Year's Eve so it didn't leave much time for much fun. I told the girls if they would like to celebrate then perhaps they could plan the party. They poured over recipes, selected them, made a grocery list and provided us with invitations. On Saturday morning Ron took Reagan to the grocery store and purchased her items. They spent the day cooking and cleaning up their messes and we had the BEST dinner ever.




Our first course was a white cheese pizza dip. This was so good it was insane. We dipped bread and broccoli. Yum!! Reagan got her first try at putting things in and out of the oven. It made me nervous but since she was following instructions I figured she needed to learn sometime. She did great!

The next course was this amazing Chicken roll. It was Asian inspired and consisted of chicken, carrots, broccoli and celery sauteed in Asian hot chili sauce and oyster sauce. Then it was scooped into crescent rolls and baked. Super yummy and I will be making this again!

They followed it up with a banana split like ice cream sundae. Oh and I forgot to mention that there was a banana smoothie in there some place but no one really liked it. All in all super fun. Once they got it cleaned up they had a movie picked out and we watched it as a family. It was neat watching both girls learn new skills in the kitchen. It was also encouraging to see them gain confidence as they read and followed directions as each dish turned out to perfection. We will be doing this again soon. I hear rumor of a Valentine's Day party!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Gina its good to see you guys are training some good cooks. These are times all of you will treasure for the rest of your lives. As I told you before its a real pleasure reading this blog. I compare it to a business man who enjoys the wall street journal, to me this is that journal. Love you guys and miss ya.

Sarah said...

That's awsome! How old are your girls now? Reagan has to be almost 10, and she can cook asian chicken rolls?! I'm almost jealous. HaHa Sounds like you had a blast and now I can't wait to hear about the Valentine's Day party. I think your girls have your creative gene!! Happy New Year VanSteenacker Family!!