Saturday, November 1, 2008

More Candy!!!

Halloween this year was so much fun. We had our friends from last years preschool come over and go with us. We also walked with the neighbors as well. It was a blast getting 5 children ready to go and by the time it was Ryan's turn to get his costume on he was all excited.
Well excited until I had to get something out of the car and he discovered that we were going to walk our street first before we headed over to the "good neighborhood!" He really didn't know what we were doing so we basically drag him to the first door because, darn it, we are GOING to have fun. He wasn't overly impressed and then we had to walk passed the car again so he threw another fit. Ugh.
At the second house he started to notice that when we go to the door something amazing happens...perfect strangers (who we aren't supposed to talk to) give us candy (that we aren't supposed to take from strangers) and mom and dad are happy about this. After the third house he went running to the next yelling, "more can-ne, more can-ne!!" Now you have to picture him in this mouse outfit just bouncing along yelling with tremendous excitement about getting more candy...it was so much fun to watch. I really do hope I remember it always. Rebecca was a cat or leopard or tiger...you get the idea. A cat in very loose terms. Now all that came with this $20 costume was this skimpy, thin leotard. So underneath I made her wear long johns and we found a black boa to put around her neck so she wouldn't freeze to death.
Apparently the costume companies haven't figured out yet that the end of October in most places is rather chilly and that they should make costumes a little warmer so we don't have to bury them beneath coats! Anyway, once we got her make up on and her ears on her head, she was the cutest "cat" I've ever seen. She busied herself trying to eat Ryan since he was a mouse and all. I guess all those episodes of "Tom and Jerry" finally paid off! She had a blast trick or treating until we came to one house.
As she came away from the stairs she calls my name and says, with big tears in her eyes, "Mommy, I just saw the scariest thing and I just don't think I can go on, maybe we should go home!" Did I mention that the girls in my house are a bit dramatic?? So I followed that up with the most unusual example. I replied with, "Rebecca you know how the neighbors have bloody limbs in the front yard?" she says, "yes" I remind her that they are only made of plastic. Now she's feeling a little better...who knew bloody limbs could come in handy? Anyway, I walked a few more houses with her up to the door and then she was fine again. Thank you dear neighbors for the bloody limbs thrown about your yard!! Anyway, she also had a great time.
Reagan was a spider witch.
Now we normally don't do witches or scary things, but this year she had a party to attend. Being all of eight and wanting to not "look like a dork" we splurged a little on her costume. Now I hate spiders, but this was actually pretty...in a spider web sort of way. Anyway, I was so proud of Reagan because she made sure to watch out for all of the little kids. Especially Ryan. She even fell back from the crowd of kids to wait for him and make sure he got his candy. She was kind and thoughtful and for a split second I thought that perhaps I am not COMPLETELY failing as a parent. Thank goodness for those moments because sometimes I wonder what the heck is going on!!!
The next night, Halloween, oh, that's right, yes here we don't trick or treat on Halloween, we do it on an obscure night like...Thursday. Yes we like to do that here so that we can all keep our children up late, feed them candy and then try to wake them up in the morning so their groggy minds can try to learn something. I digress. The party was a hit. Reagan met some new girls and simply had the best time ever.
Now I hope she never goes for the Gothic look, but I couldn't help but think that she was beautiful with the makeup on and I felt like a got a glimpse of the future.
Very weird. All in all we had a wonderful time and I just hope my tired brain will help me remember this year forever. All I have to say is that if you can, walk with a two year old on Halloween night, it will make you smile for days!!

No comments: