Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Got Leaves??

This is a portion of our back yard. If you look to the right you'll see that one of the three giant trees still has quite a few leaves on it. Well we waited and this past weekend we raked and blew leaves. That took several hours. I have the sore back to prove it!! Once we finally finished we had a pile that is bigger than me!! 15 bags of mulched leaves later we still have a good size pile back there. However, in the mean time, Reagan and the kids and I have had a great time jumping in the pile. I even did a few flips and taught Reagan how. I am so grateful I didn't find a stick to impale me!! LOL As Ron and I were sucking and mulching the leaves, i decided there must be a better way. You'd think my poor husband would know by now that when I try to re-invent a "way" that it's probably not going to work. He was a good sport and tried with me anyway. The leaf blower blows and then there is a different attachment that sucks up the leaves and then blows them into a bag all mulched up. However the bag fills up really fast. So I look at that and think...hmmm....what if we just put a garbage bag on the end then we can just fill it up and not have to stop so often. GREAT IDEA!!! Here is what we failed to consider: The leaf bag is made of heavy material, it actually attaches to the machine and it has a zipper. In hindsight we see how all of these parts are critical. So we take off the bag, Ron holds the garbage bag and I turn on the leaf blower. In less than one second, critical pieces of the leaf bag flash before us as Hurricane force winds whip through the garbage bag creating a tunnel of wind and mulched leaves. After shock wears off, we start to laugh and begin to fumble to turn the darn thing off. Not only is there wind, but flying around us and at us are mulched leaves and sticks. I am sure if a neighbor is looking out their window, they are thinking..."look at those two retards!" We finally get the leaf blower or "leaf condense-a-nator" as we named it, turned off and there we stand; Covered from head to toe in mulched leaves, doubled over in laughter! Without a word, Ron turns and goes to get the proper bag and attaches it. I point out the obvious of how, "I guess that's why you can't do that," and we continue the long process of sucking up the leaves. We are the reason there are warning labels. Someone in the warning label lab must have relatives like us and so they pick their brains and write it down...WARNING DO NOT TRY TO USE A TRASH BAG TO VACUUM/MULCH LEAVES!!!

1 comment:

nonapearl said...

You crazy person, you!

BTW - I tagged you. Normally don't do them, but this one was fun. Check out www.nonapearl.blogspot.com for details. =)