Friday, October 28, 2011

Halloween

Halloween has been on count down since October first. Ever since the calendar turned over to October 1, Ryan has been excited. He was the first to choose a costume and Captain America was his choice. I thought that was an interesting choice since he has never seen Captain America, but who am I to argue. I have to say he had the shield and everything. I thought for sure I would be carrying it by the second house, but he carried it all night. I was informed that he could not fully protect me and keep the peace without his shield!

Reagan was a chef. I found the white puffy hat at a craft store but was having trouble finding a chef's coat. I lucked out at the community aid center when I found a black jacket with a high collar in the ladies department. It was the perfect fit!Add a white apron and a towel and we had a professional! As a bonus that coat was $2.50!

Rebecca wanted to be Miss America (we kinda had an America thing going on this year). At the same Community center I found the most beautiful dress and in her favorite color. As I stood there trying to decide if my limited sewing skills could alter the dress to fit her, a lady walked up to me and said what a beautiful dress it was. I explained to her that it was for my 8 yr old and my concerns. She walked me through exactly what I would need to do to fix it and made it sound so easy. So for $5 Miss America was born.

I was a little nervous about fixing Rebecca's dress when I had to go to YouTube to figure out how to thread my bobbin. However, one great video later and I was ready to go. I get everything ready and started to hem the dress and I hear Ron from the other room..."Hey Hon? What's that noise?" I reply, as if it's the most natural thing in the world..."the sewing machine." I am pretty sure I should be offended by the incredulous sound in his voice as he repeated, "sewing machine?" I got that feeling that he was making fun, kind of like I do when something is up with the car and he pops the hood. I always look at him and ask..."whatcha lookin for?" LOL At any rate, I am happy to report I actually did a good job and I am excited as ever to sew more stuff. It's not as hard as I thought....guess that is the story of my life.

Thankfully the rain stopped just before we went out to trick or treat, but it was still C-O-L-D! Yikes...we froze...we being the adults. As tradition dictates our friends, the Hoffners, came to trick or treat with us. Always a great time. Unfortunately this year their little guy who is Ryan's age wasn't feeling well and his dad took him home. Come to think of it, I think they were the smart ones, all nice and warm inside!! Reagan had two friends join us, so she had a super fun time too. Two hours later and to the bone cold, Halloween 2011 was over, well after the kids each gave me a candy for walking around with them :)

Tomorrow it is supposed to snow, and no, that is not a typo...I don't mean a few fun snow flakes...it's supposed to SNOW...inches. I am trying to be super adult about it and be irritated by that, but truly I am so excited!! I love snow...I wouldn't mind if the green leaves were off the trees first...it is a little early, oh and none of my kids have full snow gear yet...Other than that...totally excited. I will keep you posted.

No comments: