Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Courage

Next time I give one of my children a lecture, I think I will be prepared to learn the lesson myself. This morning Rebecca was upset because they have started swimming at school. One of the tasks is to just jump into the pool toward the person standing there. For most of us that is not a big deal, but to my first grader who cannot swim, it's huge to jump into water over her head toward a stranger. So this morning I told her that before she jumps to ask Jesus to give her courage and trust that He will keep her safe and then plug her nose and jump! I also mentioned that no one was going to let her drown because Mommy could be a scary person if someone hurts her babies!! So off to school she goes. In walks Ron and says, "there is a blood drive at my store today, want to go with me and give blood?" UMMM...no? However, not wanting to appear less awesome than he, I say sure I'd love to. It took forever in the little bus and then it happened someone was about to get started and like an accident I couldn't look away. Then she pulled out the needle. Instant tears as it looked much more like a rod or skewer for ka-bobs or something. Of course I am standing there with some of Ron's co-workers so I went with the Las Vegas slogan...What happens on the bus, stays on the bus! As far as they are concerned I was the picture of courage. Then my little conversation with Rebecca popped into my head and I had to laugh at how funny God thinks He is. So I took my own advice and prayed for courage and laid on the table. Clearly I lived and it wasn't as bad as I thought. It's clear now that I cannot blame Ron any longer for the drama that goes on with our kids...they do in fact get it from me...Darn it!

No comments: