Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Silent Offering

In the fall I started going to a Bible study. I was with my good friend in the class and I was enjoying it. Well schedules changed at home and I had to start taking Ryan with me. At the time, Ryan had zero interest in being left in the childcare and so I started to miss meeting after meeting until I finally gave up. Then one day I received a card in the mail that changed my perspective 180 degrees. The card mentioned how I was missed in the class, but went on to say how one day it will be my turn and to be thankful to the opportunity to give my family my silent offering. The silent offering of their care, a clean home and meals on the table and in lunchboxes. As I pondered that thought, it became less of a thankless job, less of a frustration that my son would rather be with me than anyone else and more of an inspiring task that I have been given to do. An offering is given with a willing heart. An offering expects nothing in return, but the joy the giver gets in giving it. So in the months followed, I began to enjoy the last little bit of time with Ryan before he would tell me, "Score! I get preschool!!" and would run in the room to have the time of his life, while I walk away to do "my" thing. So many of us have areas of our lives that if we could look at it as an offering and not a duty or a job, we would find that joy that comes from giving. Today I woke up a little early to make little tiny rice krispie treats for my girls to take to school. Treats they had requested at 8pm last night. It was my offering to them, to make them happy and all it cost was a little sleep and a warm shower. Around here if you don't get in the shower before Reagan...well...goodbye hot water!! LOL However, tonight I got a Valentine that said, "Dear Mom, you are the best Mom in the entire world! I love you, Reagan." Today my offering was noticed and because my attitude was right I was able to be blessed by Reagan's comment and not feel guilty that my heart was irritated this morning. That's pretty great. So now I am starting to put God's Word into everyday action. I never could get this concept of "Do your work as unto the Lord..." I always thought that I would be taken advantage of and that it was too hard to understand how to "Work as unto the Lord..." Now I get it. When your work is an offering to those around you, there is no feelings of being taken advantage of, no score card to keep track of, just a silent offering that I choose to give to those I love.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Regina my Dear One. I read this a couple of days ago, and had to go back to it tonight. You put to pen an amazing and defining moment in life. You inspire me, encourage me, make me laugh. I miss you more each day my friend. Can't wait to see you again. I have to admit that I was kind of jealous reading about you going to study with good friends. Maybe one day, God will unite our paths again. Until then....keep loving and serving Jesus!

Kathleen

Gina said...

Don't worry friend, I take you along where ever I go because you are always in my thoughts. You are irreplaceable and I too hope our geography will be as close as our hearts are one day. Who knows perhaps this summer will hold a visit for us...providing your girls ever get to be done with school!! NO MORE SNOW DAYS!! Miss you!