Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Hiccups

In the stage of life that I am in right now,  it seems that I am either following up on chores, breaking up fights, teaching, training or disciplining. Sometimes the fun I dreamed we'd have as we planned for children is non-existent. However, I had the privilege this week of 3 times over giving my children hiccups! That seems like an odd thing to be excited about, but it's because the hiccups originated from laughter. I am used to making my husband laugh and my friends and sometimes perfect strangers, but it is much harder to make kids just think you are funny if you are not tickling them. However, a private joke with Rebecca had us in fits of laughter for several minutes resulting in a good case of hiccups that lasted until we arrived at school. Ryan is kind of easy because the mere mention of a potty word or function sends him  into fits of laughter. Reagan is a tough one lately. We are darkening the door where I am supposed to be lame and she is to merely tolerate me. However, tonight I made her laugh...hard....until she got the hiccups. For a second in time I got a glimpse of what I had always hoped for, flashbacks of rare moments with my own mom, and a hope for the future between Reagan and me. It's interesting the moments that make such a big impact, tonight with Reagan in the laundry room of all places will be one of those moments that I tuck in my heart for future reference.

No comments: