Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Tooth Fairy Lives

Early in the year an informative little kid ruined the tooth fairy for me Rebecca. She came home asking if the tooth fairy was real. Being more logical than not she said to "just tell her, it's fine." So I did. Rebecca has lost 7 more teeth since then and each time i felt sad that she missed out on the greatness of the letters and cash from the tooth fairy.

A couple of nights ago she lost another tooth. Being fed up with the raw deal she has gotten I informed her that she needed to put that tooth under her pillow because the tooth fairy lives. She gave me her best 7 year old, squinty eyed look and said, "I know the tooth fairy isn't real mom." I disagreed and said, "I am the tooth fairy, I am real and put your tooth under the pillow please." She did and with great joy I took it, left a note and enough cash to make up for all of the teeth she had lost this past year.

Now Reagan has lost a tooth. I swear someone told them I had a few bucks...teeth are falling out all over the place! It is under her pillow right now because that's how Reagan is. And even though she knows it's me her heart is full of anticipation of what she will find tomorrow. She will be such a great mom someday. She has a knack for making things so special. Anyway, what starts as an amazing milestone eventually turns into the glimpse of the future. These are molars...she is almost done being a child. I get that she has a ways to go before she is an adult, but each of these last teeth closes this childhood door a little more until it will close completely and I will hear the turn of the lock. It goes by so fast. She is almost as tall as me now. I wonder if she will keep growing and pass me up, or if she will reach her full height here in 5th grade and never grow another inch as I did? I guess tonight it doesn't matter. Tonight I get to be the tooth fairy one more time for her. I will get to write a note that she will read again and again. Tonight I get to put a stopper in the door of childhood and let it be prolonged for a few more moments. Who knew that a little tiny tooth could say so much and make a grown woman melt into tears. I am blessed, so very blessed that I get to be a mom...their mom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This story really blessed me my dear friend. It's the perfect description of my own heart for Lily & Claire. Amazing perspective. THANK YOU!!