Sunday, July 27, 2008

Thanks!

The Bible says, "...in Everything give Thanks..." I always thought that we were only supposed to do that because God wanted us to be grateful to Him for all He does for us and gives to us. Rightfully so and I am so grateful. However, just the other day, I was thinking about how thankfulness from others can either lift me up, or their unthankfulness can drag me down. Every now and then I am surprised at how amazing God is. Here I thought my thankfulness was only for His benefit, when in reality it makes me feel so much better about any situation and it also affects those around me in a positive way. All of this insight, didn't just dawn on me, a situation brought this thought process about. My sweet nephew can eat as much as a small man. Every meal he is just so excited and gobbles up whatever my sister makes him. I smile every time I think about his chubby little hands signing "more" after each bite with that big smile on his face. His attitude of thankfulness constantly bring smiles to those around him. At the opposite end of the line is my daughter Rebecca who will tell me she doesn't like what I am making for dinner before I even get anything out!!! Now I can admit that some nights I make "adult" meals...fish, steamed veggies, rice...don't know of too many kids beside my nephew that would love that. But it seems no matter what I do for dinner there is complaints. Now as I see it, I can continue to complain and feel unappreciated or I can take this opportunity to give thanks myself for the chance to teach my children the life lesson of Thankfulness. One can always find something...I'm thankful you try so hard to make us a nice dinner...even though I don't care for it. Thank you for the opportunity to try new food...even though I think I'll make myself a peanut butter and jelly. Already I can see how that small amount of gratefulness would make me feel better. So off I go to be thankful myself and try to teach it to my children. I am sure a good dose of patience will be what's for dinner as I try to do this. For that I will say, "thank you God for the opportunity to be patient...even though I don't really care for it!"

No comments: