Thursday, June 26, 2008

How to get what you want when you are 8.

Today I have been listening a little closer to the conversations my children have with each other. I'd have to say that a good percentage of them are one negotiation after another. "if you go downstairs with me, I'll go with you next time." "If you go get that toy, I'll go get something for you" "If you give me a bite of that I will give you two SMALL bites of mine." Now is it negotiation or is it manipulation?? Whatever it is it works great!! The person who brings it up almost always gets what they want and the other person almost always forgets to cash in on the future deal!! I need to re-learn this skill..."I'll wax the car next week if you'll clean the toilets today!" LOL Maybe I should say...oh wait, if I try to use it on the girls their minds are still quite sharp as they remind me of things I "promised" two months ago. I think they know I am one step this side of medication and they can tell me things and I can't remember if I said it or not. Oh..they are good! In hindsight I am not sure when we lose this ability or if it just becomes more subtle as we get older, but for now I think I will keep a secret tally of who gets what based on the deals being made. I am pretty sure there is an underdog here in our family who may need a little help remembering!! It's just too fun messing with them!!

No comments: