Saturday, June 14, 2008

How Do You Define Courage?

A few years ago we defined courage as "Doing It Scared." Reagan gets the most practice at this. Since she is the oldest and is paving the way, her courageous acts often make things easier for her sister and brother who watch her every move. One experience in particular brings this concept out best and I want to share it with you. Reagan is on the Hampden Aquatic Club Swim Team and she is learning all the proper strokes and everything. She really has come a long way.
A few weeks ago the team had time trials and they used the diving end of the pool. As she jumped in, she quickly realized that she was not going to touch the bottom and wasn't entirely sure she was going to make it to the top and this made her start to cry. However, instead of getting out she "did it scared" and finished her lap. I was so proud of her and I know that I learned something watching her finish even though she was scared to death! She amazed even further when she got back in the pool a second time to do her back stroke. She doesn't realize just how amazing she is. This thing she accomplished makes me know that whatever I tackle in life, even if I am scared, I just have to keep going. When she was done, she was telling me about what was going on down by the pool. I told her she need not fear next time because all of the people by the side of the pool are watching to make sure she doesn't drown. Isn't that so true in our lives? When we feel like our circumstances might cause us to drown, all we need to do is look around at the family and friends that surround us and know that all we must do is keep swimming! Upon her next lesson she asked me what she should do if she had to jump in that end of the pool again, and I told her to jump right in again and again until she not afraid any more. Today she is not afraid. It is one more time that courage developed character and it is a lesson that will go so far beyond swimming for her and for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gina
I love reading your blog!!! I check every time I get online to see if you have posted anything new!!! Keep them coming the kids are amazing and so hilarious! I'm sure you'll have some great stories while Kate and Luke are there! Have a great week with them and know I am always thinking about you and your family
Lots of Love
Christa