Sunday, July 25, 2010

Making Time, Taking Time

I am sure any parent can relate to this issue...enough time. Some may think I am talking about having enough time to do all the chores, or work enough hours, or just get it all done peroid. What what I am talking about is that precious one on one time that if you don't make it, you certainly won't take it. I guess you could say it's always in the back of my head that I have always wanted to have more one on one time with each of the members of my family. Ron gets his time after the kids are in bed, but with 3 kids 3 years apart there is rarely a moment for me to just be with Reagan, or just be with Bec and I have to say Ry gets the lions share because he's not in school all day. However, even with him if I am not intentional, his time can get stolen away with chores or phone calls. However, a week ago, Reagan asked me why she doesn't get to stay up a little later than the rest now that she is 10. Valid question. The problem is that I was afraid that if I let her stay up my day would NEVER end. So one night when she couldn't sleep she asked if she could come down stairs with me. It was a particuarly long day and the last thing I wanted was more company. Ron was closing and I had few precious minutes all to myself. So I said, "no." Then the guilt took over so I told her she could come down stairs on one condition...DO NOT ASK ME ANY QUESTIONS!!! Seriously. I was spent from meeting everyone's needs all day long and one more question was going to put me in a straight jacket. She agreed and we had a lovely evening together playing Mario Kart and trying to open new worlds.
Each night now I find myself looking forward to a few extra minutes just her and me. What is interesting I am finding myself finally satisfied with the time we have together and the relationship we are nurturing. I am also finding that during the day she is not as needy or competitve for my time. Very interesting.

Then we have sweet, patient Rebecca. Rebecca will mention something and then not bring it up again in hope that you will remember her request for your undivided attention. I am sad to admit that sometimes my precious middle child gets lost in the shuffle. That has always been my worst fear having walked in those shoes. Oldest kid needs attention because they always have some kind of drama or life changing issue going on, youngest kid can't do much for themselves so there is the middle fending for themself and taking whatever scraps are left over. Tonight as I tucked Rebecca in bed, I turned out the light and walked away sad that another day had passed us by. Once downstairs it dawned on me that Reagan would be fine for a bit by herself so I went back upstairs to Rebecca. We have been trying to read "Ramona Forever" forever. Because we wanted to read it together. We tried to find it but couldn't and I truly think Rebecca was morn interested in going to sleep. So we made a date...tomorrow night her and I "Ramona Forever." She said goodnight with a pep in her voice excited that we were going to have a date in my room tomorrow. I know just making that effort will pay off huge for her...and me.

This parenting thing is hard work. There are so many things to juggle trying to raise these precious lives to be awesome adults who live the best life God intends for them. There are so many hours needed to get everything done. However, it's developing these relationships that are the most important. I guess if somethings get left undone so that my kiddos know that I have made time for them and we can have a firm relationship. Then it will all be worth it. However, the no more questions rule will still be in place at least some of the time. I know in a blink they will be off and the shoe will be on the other foot as I wait for them to make time for me. We make time and take time for the things that really mean the most to us. It's time for me to starting showing them what is most important to me.

1 comment:

Tiphanie said...

Really well said. I especially think the point about soon the shoe being on the other foot is a very good one. I still remember very fondly my mom coming in and sitting on our beds and just listening to us.... I actually didn't mind that I was sharing her attention with my sister it was just nice that she was all ours for those minutes :) Moms are just a special breed and our need for their attention is a need that if not filled leaves a hole for a very long time.