Thursday, October 4, 2012

That is really heavy!

Today in my patient skills lab we learned how to properly move patients from the bed to a wheel chair and "log roll" them in a bed. I got to be the class example of the patient. Thank goodness it is a small class. So I'm laying on the bed while the teacher gives another student instructions. Let's just say when she finally helped me off the bed into a standing position we were really, really close to each other...uncomfortably close. I felt like I should have been taken out for drinks or something first. Anyway, I finally made it to the wheel chair and was miraculously healed so I didn't have to be moved back into the bed! When it was my turn to move the next girl, I was surprised at how natural it felt to explain what I was doing and how I was going to do it. The woman actually asked me if i had done this type of work before...not unless you count dragging Ryan's heavy arse to the bathroom at night! Anyway, I have a brand new appreciation for my mother-in-law and sister-in-law for the kind of work they do day in and day out. I have no idea how they even have a back left! Even the smallest girl in the class, healthy and able to help move herself around was incredibly heavy at the angle at which you need to work and lift. So this post is my shout out to Mom and Jean for being freaking superheroes every time they go to work...you guys are AMAZING!!

No comments: