Sunday, April 5, 2009

Making It Right

Every now and then we get to fix a mistake and make something even better than it was before. Here is the scene, it's Wednesday morning I am making breakfast and Reagan is getting her folder together for school when she discovers she has done the wrong math page. For the next half hour I battle with her and myself between frustration and stress all over a silly piece of homework. I yelled and I tried to walk away but I just couldn't leave it alone. My daughter got in the car with Ron and headed off to school with tears running down her cheeks. Each tear was my fault because I choose to yell instead of be in control. Taking a page from a friend's play book, I got ready for my day and told Ron I needed to go to the school. As I walked into the office there sat the lady that always makes me feel like an idiot. Oh well, not today, I am on a mission. In my most matter of fact voice I announce, "I am Reagan's Mom and this is the class she is in and I need to speak with her right now!" as the woman just stared at me I finished with a "Thank You" and I turned around. About 5 seconds later I heard her pick up the receiver and call for Reagan. Surprised was the look on Reagan's face as she came down the hall and saw me standing there. I didn't mean to cry, but I was so upset with myself that I couldn't help it. I'll spare you the details but I made sure she understood that our relationship was way more important than that math page and that I was wrong. I didn't want her to carry my mistake with her all day. I've been that kid, I didn't want that for her. After we were done she went back to her class and I went home. When I picked her up from the bus I got a giant hug. I asked her what that was for and she replied, "Because you came all the way to my school just to make me feel better and that was the most awesome thing any Mom could do." Wow. She is like a new person. God took my mistake and because I humbled myself with my daughter He has healed a relationship that was starting to form cracks. Even Reagan said she feels like our relationship is in a whole new place. I could have waited until she got off the bus, but I don't think it would have had nearly the effect it did. No wonder the Bible says..."If you have ought with your brother, leave what you are doing and go make it right..." I'm so thankful that this time I did, what a great gift making it right has given me.

3 comments:

nonapearl said...

You're such a good mom! I really look up to you and how you truly show Christ's example to your children!!!

=) HUGS...

Gina said...

Thanks Nona! That's really nice of you to say. Hopefully one of these days I'll get it right the first time! However, let's not hold our breath on that one, it might have a tragic end!! LOL

Rebekka said...

I don't think life is about getting it right the first time... I think it's just about getting it right. You are an amazing person and a shining example of a child of God that I look up to! Thank you for sharing that with us. Love you!!!