Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Cat and The Woodchuck

Our backyard is a sanctuary for animals. We have about 6 different kinds of birds, endless squirrels, A family of 4 bunnies, a woodchuck and occasionally a couple of deer. Every morning, afternoon and evening the bunnies and the woodchuck come out of the trees to eat. I think they are getting ready for winter because you'd think they were all teenage boys as of late. Eating constantly!! Well this morning a orange and white cat decided to join the breakfast club. However, the cat eyeballed the woodchuck (chuck is his name, they all have names but I won't bore you) too long. I know this because instead of keeping everyone on the "take another bite" schedule of our own breakfast, I was watching out the window. Naturally the girls noticed so they came to watch. So here is Chuck watching the cat and the cat is watching chuck and all of a sudden backs start to arch. Hmmm...never seen fat ole Chuck do that before. I decide in my good Mothering to inform the girls that this could go in a bad direction. And because I am such a good mommy I tell them if one attacks the other they are to close their eyes and I will tell them what happens. So now Chuck is trying to do the right thing and walk away...I pointed that out to the kids..."see you should always try to walk away from a fight." Now I am narrating and Chuck says to...fluffy...for lack of a better name (the cat hasn't been around long enough to be named) "fluffy, I don't wanna fight you man...walk away cat." and Fluffy says, "take one more step, chunky, and I'm gonna take you out in front of those kids" Well chuck took another step and, like Ryan does pretends to do something else and then takes off running. He's remarkably fast for the body to leg ratio! Fluffy follows and they chase each other into the trees. Now we are all standing there listening..."you hear anything?" I got three No's and of course one yes. The yes comes from the hypochondriac of the family (no it's not me, I am miss worst case scenario) This person can hear yelps and hisses from the cat and Chuck. OK, I don't think so. We figured we just wait to see who would come out of the trees victorious, but the timer rang and we had to leave for school. I am happy to report that Chuck made his scheduled appearance at dinner time. No sign of Fluffy. I don't think the cat is welcome for meals anymore. I'll let you know if we see him or start to smell a foul smell coming from the trees. Normally my children get to experience mating or birth from nature so this was a nice change of pace!

No comments: